The upgrade has begun

Talk about Jeeps Our Forum and Warmachines Stuff
Skirmish
Colonel

The upgrade has begun

Post by Skirmish » Sun May 07, 2017 10:48 pm

We are now in the process of the upgrade to vbulletin. So far I have purchased the software and hosting service. It might get a little messy over the next few weeks while we transfer so please bear with us.

For the last few years if you noticed we have been using 2 domain names. When we transferred to GoDaddy they offered us a free domain name. It was free for the first year and now we are being charged for it. Since we really don't need it we will be dropping WM702.com and continuing with Warmachines702.com.

Currently Warmacines702.com simply redirects you to the forum at WM702.com/forum. If I do it right it will continue to do so until the transfer is complete so use it from now on if you are typing directly. I will try to update everyone as much as I can but expect to lose WM702.com completely within the next month.

In the meantime I will be working on converting our forum from a phpbb3 site to a vbulletin site. Those of you that have used other major forums will probably be very used to this format so it will look very familiar to you. If this is the only forum you know it will look very different but much better. It is more stable, faster and has a lot more features.

For now just keep using this forum as normal

METT-TC
Captain

Re: The upgrade has begun

Post by METT-TC » Mon May 08, 2017 7:49 am

Good to know on the wm702 going away and why. And thank you Keith for the work. This stuff doesn't just happen.
'03 TJ / Glenmore

whitels1
Captain

Post by whitels1 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:46 am

Keep up the good work, I appreciate it!
84 K10

Dave :)

Sabotage70
Captain

Post by Sabotage70 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:31 pm

It's going to be nice with the upgrade. Good chance I'll start using the pc more to post. Lots of cool smileys like rolleyes and vomit.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

2010 Deep Ocean Blue JKU sport, 2.5" Rubicon Express coils and shocks, MetalCloak front lower control arms, MetalCloak steering stabilizer flip kit, onboard air, JCR Mauler front bumper, BFG 35x12.5" MT's on Pro Comp wheels.

Skirmish
Colonel

Post by Skirmish » Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 pm

Our main domain name has been moved to our new hosting site, Siteground. They have been great with support so far so I'm pretty happy. Godaddy seems to be more into marketing than support. I have warmachines702.com redirecting back to this forum and it should until the new forum is running so if you want to update bookmarks or however you access the forum to warmachines702.com it should always work. Within the month you hopefully will not be able to use any wm702.com addresses.

It will be awhile before it looks like anything but I've loaded vbulletin 4 at warmachines702.com/forum. I'll be spending most of the time figuring out what it will take to migrate the database over and get the style of the forum looking nice. Don't expect any logins or posts to last very long until I have it ready but if you are bored and want to see what the status is you can peek over there.

Wrangler93
General

Post by Wrangler93 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks for doing the nerd stuff!
'93 YJ

Skirmish
Colonel

Post by Skirmish » Mon May 15, 2017 5:43 pm

An update on the forum transfer, after spending way too much time trying to convert to vbulletin I came to realize it wasn't going to work well doing it on my own. I have found a company that will do it for us over the next couple days and have scripts that will check for accuracy. Hopefully we will get all of our posts and members transferred before the end of the week. The one thing they cannot transfer, and neither could I for that matter is passwords. They are encrypted in the software so I believe they will set a temp password that will be emailed to you. Do not try to register or sign into the new forum until you get the email. If you don't get an email and see activity on the new board you can contact me at keithfels@cox.net and I will sort you out.

Once all of this is completed I will set the wm702.com adressses and the warmachines702.com to redirect to the forum at warmachines702.com/forum. In early June all wm702.com addresses will expire and will no longer be useable. If you need to update bookmarks or whatever, warmachines702.com will always have the correct redirect to our current forum.

In the next few days there will probably be a period when you are not allowed to post on this forum. It will need to be set to "read only" in order for anything new to be copied over. It shouldn't be down for long and it will signal the end of our phpbb board.

Once this process is finished I will be working on getting our mobile apps live and redesigning the look of the new board.

Skirmish
Colonel

Post by Skirmish » Tue May 23, 2017 1:30 pm

We are in the final stages of transfer. Very soon this site should become "read only" so they can move all of the posts over to the new forum.

From the last version they gave me we should only lose avatars and formatting of the signature lines. These are easy things to fix and most were out of date anyway. Once the new site is up I will start on the apps. The look is going to be foreign for awhile but we will get it there.

Wrangler93
General

Post by Wrangler93 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:56 pm

I can't wait!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

'93 YJ